|here are all the pop culture references in episode 1010...
||[Aug. 18th, 2008|08:47 pm]
|||||ladytron - "ghosts"||]|
...the vampiric puppet lamentation."
- "miguel bose" - panama-born spanish singer (presumably, tyler's sister got to know his work during their time growing up in latin america)
- in the dream sequence, lacey is eating "fatboy industries vegan cocoa-gasm" ice cream
- Joe 90 continues to be our homage to the eponymous gerry anderson series
- "does usagi yojimbo kick serious ass?" - wendy name checks stan sakai's samurai rabbit comic book series
- "carl sagan's book" refers to "the demon-haunted world" sagan's treatise against pseudo-science and new age thought
- "is it 4:20 already?" - referencing the universally agreed-upon time for smoking the hippie lettuce
- 1895 - the year in which bram stoker's novel "dracula" was published
- "van helsing' - referencing bram stoker's "dracula"
- "i'm-a get my buffy on!" - referencing "buffy the vampire slayer"
- "until i get my rent money, you're gonna get more than you bargained for - i'm your [BLEEP-BLEEP] partner - paraphrasing marion ravenwood in "raiders of the lost ark"
- "a. dixon" is also the author of "bitten by zombies, a coping guide" seen in episode 1005 "the flying fish zombification" (and is a recurring prose author in all of andy reaser's episodes regardless of what series he is working on at the time)
- marv wolfman and gene colan created the character "blade" during their run on "tomb of dracula"
- christopher lee has played dracula more times than any other actor, peter cushing oftentimes played his nemesis in the hammer studios dracula movies of the sixties and seventies
- "three of the major syndicated canadian vampire shows" - actually, we only know of two major syndicated canadian vampire detective shows ("forever knight" and "blood ties" - but that just goes to show how much bigger a geek wendy is than we are)
- altair auction house - reference to the val lewton-produced film "the ghost ship"
- nikolas pherides - reference to the val lewton-produced film "isle of the dead"
- "man, i don't EVEN have an opinion" - quote/homage to marvin's last line from "pulp fiction" (before he is shot in the face by vincent vega)
- "look. it's trying to think!" - homage-by-quote to "twin peaks"
- "i've seen every one of the 'blade' films, i know my way around suckheads" - reference to blade's slang term for vampires
- "bram stoker's widow!" - homage in dialogue to the author of "dracula"
- renfield - homage to the character in bram stoker's "dracula"
- "john seward home for the criminally insane" - homage to the character in bram stoker's dracula, who ran an insane asylum
- the interrogation of renfield rehnquist is an homage to señor wences character "johnny" a face drawn on the ventriloquist's hand
- "dr. judd" - homage to the character in the val lewton-produced film "cat people"
- "transylvania 6-5000" - homage to the 1985 horror comedy starring jeff goldblum (which is in itself a parody of the glenn miller song "pennsylvania 6-5000")
- irina dubrovna - homage to the main character in the val lewton-produced film "cat people"
- "1010 arthur holmwood drive" - homage to the character from bram stoker's "dracula" as well as to this episode's production number
- the montesi formula - homage to the marvel comic series "tomb of dracula"
- "chucky's grandpa" - reference to the "child's play" films
- mcfarlane & gray - homage to the two main characters of the val lewton-produced film "the body snatched"
- "pipe down, pinocchio" - reference to the disney film/carlo collodi children's story
- "you give love a bad name" - a bon jovi reference tossed in to show we are hip with what "the kids" are listening to nowadays
- "ride lonesome, huh?" - callback to the randolph scott film last referenced in episode #1007 "the cursed tuba contingency"