|here's a list of pop-culture references...
||[Aug. 12th, 2008|09:58 pm]
|||||celine dion - "my heart will go on"||]|
...for "the middleman" episode 1007, "the cursed tuba contingency"
- "happy scrubbing, tinkerbell" - reference to peter pan
- with the exception of "ride lonesome" the movie posters outside the theater are all for fabricated film featuring the names of members of the middleman staff
- the music heard in the theater was written for "the middleman" by composer tree adams, the real theme (or footage) from "ride lonesome" could not be used for copyright reasons
- "boba fett" and "jack bauer" - should be self explanatory
- peckinpah motel - homage to director sam peckinpah
- "agents boetticher and kennedy" - homage to the director and writer of "ride lonesome"
- the reason the american shrimp and crab amalgamated processors don't use the acronym for copyright reasons is that ASCAP stands for "american society of composers, authors and publishers": the professional organization that polices music residuals
- the csis were cast to look like the team from the first season of "csi," - the main csi is ever referred to as "bearded petersen guy" in the script
- "hawks lane" - homage to director howard hawks
- agents harland and wolff - homage to the shipyard where the titanic was built
- "downer's grove," illinois - i went to a sci-fi convention there once
- "southampton philharmonic" - the titanic was registered to southampton
- "the sound of salesmen" - homage to the rush song "spirit of the radio"
- "pop in a mario bava movie" - homage to the notorious italian horror director
- "edward j. smith public school" - homage to the captain of the titanic, if you look closely at the signange, you will notice that the school's team is the "fighting icebergs"
- "mister rogers!" - is it one of the middleman's colorful explanations, or a statement of fact? you decide
- the last names of rogers's aliases are all former classmates of hans beimler's
- "highlander with a tuba" - homage to the immortal scottish swordsman franchise
- "i'll do your hair, cinderella" - self explanatory
- lacey is never actually heard singing the theme song from james cameron's titanic for copyright reasons
- "not bad, shoeless joe" - homage to the famous ball player (played by ray liotta in "field of dreams")
- "agent roy ward baker/erica ambler" - the director and writer of the film "a night to remember"
- "get the axe, noser" - homage to the scene in "titanic" in which kate winslet frees leonardo dicaprio from handcuffs with an axe
- "sweet molly brown!" - homage to the famous titanic survivor, played by kathy bates in the film "titanic"
"the fighting icebergs" is the winningest win evar.
"not bad, shoeless joe" - homage to the famous ball player (played by ray liotta in "field of dreams")
Darn it! Once again I thought I was really clever and had figured out the veiled cultural reference. I am of course quite familiar with the great Shoeless Joe Jackson of the Chicago White Sox (also played by D.B. Sweeney in John Sayles supurb movie "Eight Men Out" concerning the Black Sox scandal).
HOWEVER, I actually thought the reference was to the song "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal Mo" from the famous musical "Damn Yankees!" That was because the song included the several lyrics that I figured you were having fun with, such as:
"Shoeless Joe From Hannibal Mo.
Strike at the foe, let 'em know you're there"
"With arms of steel like Hercules" (which I envisioned could have been an internal joke about Kevin Sorbo's then forthcoming appearance on the show).
Oh well. C'est la vie. It's probably better to avoid 1950s show tunes, I suppose. Though in this episode, I imagine lines recalling songs from "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" might have been warranted...
Molly Brown was also played by Carrie's mom, Debbie Reynolds, in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown." PLUS she sang! Take that, Kathy Bates!
"downer's grove," illinois - i went to a sci-fi convention there once
I remember that :)
- "the sound of salesmen" - homage to the rush song "spirit of the radio"
Of course, this was itself purposely jumping off a diving board of meaning prepared by the Simon/Garfunkle song the Sound(s) of Silence. - Which is one of my favorite lyric constructs, I love Rush. :)
AWESOME episode, I loved it.
I have a confession to make. On August 11, I made a choice. A choice to binge on the Olympics. What can I say? It's the Olympics. It's the one time every 4 years that I show any interest whatsoever in any sports or competition-related programming. So I tend to go a little overboard right around now. I watched the horses jump over bushes, okay? And I'm quite sure that if the television is on while international ping-pong happens, I will be watching that, too. (I have a problem, I know.)
But the problem was I didn't realize DVR was full up on recorded programs (um, mostly the Olympics, obvs) and so The Middleman (which I have diligently recorded every week) did not record. So please, Middleblog, direct me. Where can I watch August 11th's episode? I've read on TWOP that you can watch episodes of TMM on ABC Fam's site but you have to sign up for some lame-o Pajama Party thing. I will totally sign up for the lame-o Pajama Party thing, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm just having hallucinations induced by a million hours of Olympics coverage, but there is no information on The Middleman's ABC Fam page and the only episode I can find is from August 4th. A fine episode, to be sure, but I want to see the newest one. I signed up for an account on ABC Fam site but when I go to 'watch shows' they just want me to watch that tragically tragic pregnant girl show by the ever-awful creator of 7th Heaven. And to that business, I say no thank you.
Please help a girl out here. Don't worry, I'm not a Nielsen member.
Well, I know you can get it HERE
, if you wish.Edited at 2008-08-14 01:19 am (UTC)
2008-08-14 07:25 pm (UTC)
They (ABC Family.com) put the new episodes up every Friday. To get there, click "shows" then "middleman" then you'll be on that part of the site. Then hit "videos." That brings you to the behind the scenes stuff. At the top of the video box, hit "back." You'll get a list of options, "behind the scenes," "full episodes," and I think "previews." Obviously, click "full episodes." Episode 9 will be there tomorrow. Or, sometimes on the home page they'll have it listed under "newest" and you can click on it right there. I know how you feel. My mom and I split the job. She watched Phelps while I watched The Middleman. I should be on a Michael Phelps blog confessing my sin. And I, too, say no thank you to that tragically tragic pregnant girl. Yuck.
I go to school the next town over from Downer's Grove, IL :D
2008-08-27 01:45 am (UTC)
Part of my family is from there and I took 3rd in a regional pool tournament there... I almost fel out of my seat when I heard it.
2008-08-27 01:46 am (UTC)
Part of my family is from there and I took 3rd in a regional pool tournament there... I almost fell out of my seat when I heard it.
2008-08-14 05:51 am (UTC)
Sweet Molly Brown!
Lol, I love the Sweet Molly Brown reference, sheer geekish of me to get it, but I love it =P
2008-08-15 01:58 am (UTC)
Artwork ref from Podcast
JNL-77mini here... Heard ref to "potential artwork" for shirt possibly out and about somewhere... Any idea? Would LOVE a JFWH Temp shirt