|here's a list of references...
||[Aug. 12th, 2008|04:44 pm]
|||||the bus boys - "cleaning up the town"||]|
...in "the middleman" episode 1008 "the ectoplasmic pan-hellenic investigation."
- "27B-6" - homage to terry gilliam's film "brazil"
- "hruck bugbear" - homage to les mcclaine's first comic book "highway 13" in which the main character drove a "hruck greywolf"
- "same bat time" - homage to the sixties "batman" tv series
- reitman university - homage to ivan reitman, director of "ghostbusters"
- "your hair grows out to three times its normal length and tries to strangle you" - homa ge to j-horror films including but not limited to "the grudge"
- "ray parker jr. avenue" - homage to the singer of the "ghostbusters" theme
- dr. stantz/dr. zeddemore/parapsychology department - homage to "ghostbusters"
- louis - homage to louis tully, played by rick moranis in "ghostbusters"
- "i don't know if she had legs but she definitely had arms..." - homage to "ghostbusters"
- pineal gland - homage to stuart gordon's "from beyond," referenced repeatedly as the seat of paranormal phenomena in "the middleman"
- "gozarian lenses" - homage to "ghostbusters"
- "moscow rules" - homage to the cold war era guidelines for americans stationed in moscow
- eleanor - named after eleanor dorcas pond, founder of the delta delta delta sorority (of which writer sarah watson is a sister)
- "our president, dana!" - homage to dana barrett, played by sigourney weaver in "ghostbusters"
- codenames: gatekeeper and keymaster - homage to "ghostbusters"
- "percy sledge, very nice" - homage to the singer of "when a man loves a woman"
- PKE meter - homage to egon spengler's main piece of tech in "ghostbusters"
- "my friend erica maynard..." - a close personal friend of writer sarah watson's
- the house's social chair as seen in the composite is named "janine melnitz" after annie potts' character in - you guessed it - "ghostbusters"
- egon spengler medal - homage to harold ramis in "ghostbusters"
- ivo shandor - the architect of dana barrett and louis tully's building in "ghostbusters," he performed a lot of unnecessary surgery
- "the eyeglasses of t.j. eckleburg" - homage to f. scott fitzgerald's "the great gatsby"
- "nutrona wand" - the name of the main weapon used by the ghostbusters
- caligula - reference to the roman emperor...who may have also performed a lot of unnecessary surgery
- positron collider - homage to "ghostbusters"
- "uh, everything is under control, situation normal" - quote of han solo's famous line in "star wars"
- "zombies of mora-tau/night of the living dead" - homage to "the zombies of mora-tau" and "night of the living dead" i think.
- louis' sweatshirt is an homage to john belushi's in "animal house"...
- ...as is the appearance of a heavy-set sorority party goer in a toga and laurel leaves
- also seen in the sorority party is an "edward forty-hands" - the name given to strapping 40 ounce bottles of beer to someone's hands with duct tape
- "great caesar's ghost!" - homage to perry white from the "superman" tv show
- the design of the BUMMER, truth bomb and concussive stun field generator is an homage to boussh's thermal detonator from "return of the jedi"
- "total protonic reversal" - homage to "ghostbusters"
See? Anyone can make Ghostbusters references. But Brazil? In a program aimed at the family audience? That is for the win.
2008-08-13 12:11 pm (UTC)
"T. J. Eckleberg" is a reference to "The Great Gatsby"
What? No mention of the other Reitman references I found.
"Greenland" - the base that Capt. Stillman (John Larroquette) is banished to at the end of STRIPES.
Speaking of STRIPES, once it made it outside the sorority house, the fight between WW and the possessed MM was awfully similar to John Candy's mud wrestling sequence in that film.
There was a reference to The Smiths song "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now": What she asked of me at the end of the day/ Caligula would have blushed.
And "Cleaning Up The Town" by the Bus Boys is from the Ghostbusters soundtrack.